We recently posted about the items you should bring when visiting Vietnam. We thought it would be appropriate to tell you about the items you should Not take it with you! Here is a istshort l to guide you when packing for your trip and to remind you of the import regulations in Vietnam.
WHAT CANNOT BE BROUGHT TO VIETNAM:
1. Clear – We hope that the position we make here is hypothetical, but again – please do not bring illegal drugs (yes, this includes marijuana) and weapons to Vietnam. If you are caught with illegal drugs or weapons, the consequences will not be light!
2. Anti-government propaganda – While we recommend learning about the history and culture of Vietnam before coming here, we recommend that you do not bring some of these reading materials back to Vietnam. If they contain any material that is believed to be against the current government, they will be confiscated and you will be severely reprimanded. Furthermore, if you bring any printed map, make sure it labels the huge body of water next to Vietnam as ‘East Sea’, not ‘East Sea’!
3. Heavy or surplus items – As we mentioned in our previous blog post, domestic flights may seem cheap at first but they actually make money from excess baggage fees. If you can do without heavy items like a hair dryer or even a heavy case bag, you can save yourself a lot of money! Also, avoid carrying too many common hygiene products like toothpaste, soap, shampoo, etc. If you run out during your trip, you can find all of these items here and most of them. Brands are available.
4. Expensive item – Thieves in Vietnam can be masters of their art. If you show off that real gold necklace or diamond pendant while wandering the streets crowded with motorbikes, it could be snatched before you even realize what’s happened! It’s best to leave your expensive jewelry at home to avoid theft. Although rings are harder to steal, you still have to be cautious. Women regularly wear their wedding rings here without a problem but you will have to be very mindful of your surroundings.
We don’t recommend carrying expensive electronic items, but if you must carry them, be extremely careful. For photography enthusiasts, a professional camera can be very helpful here as Vietnam provides a great backdrop for your photos. However, we recommend getting a really thick camera strap and to keep the camera strapped to your body or wrist. PacSafe makes the camera bag reinforced with steel wire so it can’t be cut. As for phones, many people have had their phones stolen right under their feet as they write text messages or view maps. Get someone to cover you if you need to use your phone on the street and stand facing inwards instead of facing the street. If not, keep it in a zippered pocket.
5. Pornography – The sale or possession of any sexually explicit material is strictly prohibited and illegal in Vietnam, not only for tourists but also for everyone. Very strict enforcement! If you happen to have unlabelled DVDs in your bag, they will be checked at the airport. Please note that pornography is illegal in most of Southeast Asia but may be more easily obtained in some neighboring countries. If you are traveling around Asia, you will have to remove any pornographic material in your possession before entering Vietnam.
Here is another great travel tip brought to you by Vietnam Travel Guide, the complete Vietnam travel resource! We hope you’ll have a best trip to Vietnam.
Leave a Reply